The Family History Narrative
Over the next several weeks, our class will be working on a Family History Project! Ultimately, we will create a full volume that can be read by people from all over the world. This will be a time when we learn about our family histories as we reinforce our creative writing skills. Below is a breakdown of the project.
- First, you will interview at least two family members (and ask for family photographs to share).
will then generate several “seeds” for stories
- Next, you will research a historical event or time period that relates to your family’s history (to make your narrative more historically accurate).
- Finally, you will develop two of your seeds into longer written pieces.
Resources and Documents
Narrative Draft Requirements:
- Use "Google Docs" and name your draft "Last Name+First Initial - Family History Narrative" (Folks L - Family History Narrative)
- Narrative must tell a specific and descriptive story about someone from their family history
- Use as much sensory detail as possible (see, hear, touch, smell, taste)
- Two pages in length
- Double spaced
- 12 point font
- Times New Roman
- 1st person perspective from the person you interviewed, or 3rd person (not from your own perspective)